Monday 16 July 2012

Kilimanjaro 3 : Summit


School Huts (4722m) to Hans Meyer Cave (5243m) to Gillman’s Point (5708m) to Stella Point (5745m) to Uhuru Peak (5895m), Distance 10.8km

Pete read aloud from Henry's book and we went through the details again in the afternoon:

We had read this part of the book and discussed the ascending route again and again over the last 2 days and we just had to do it 1 more time.

Dinner took place at 5pm and as usual, Jonas briefed us after dinner. We went to bed at 6.30pm in order to wake up again at 10.30pm for 'breakfast' at 11pm and to ascend at 12 midnight. 

The moment that everyone had been waiting for had finally arrived.

It was very dark, windy and cold. I had 4 layers of top, 3 layers of bottom, a headlamp, a balaclava, a beanie, a scarf, 2 pairs of gloves and 3 pairs of socks on me. Warm and toasty? Nope!  

I was placed behind Hesbon and in front of the boys. I was really sleepy and during the first break, I requested that a song be sung. The guides and summit porters amazingly sang all the way to Hans Meyer Cave. 

Along the way, I was really worried, wondering for the 1 millionth time if I was ready, hoping that I would not lag behind and get ditched by the boys. I thought that if I were to walk with only 1 guide and none of the boys, I would have next to no chances of making to the peak. To divert my attention from the negative thoughts, I tried to think of a song to sing in my head. When that failed, I began to think of the move back to Australia (bad move!). I tried to look at the moon now and then but was afraid I would fall to my death. When we overtook some groups ahead of us to become the leading group on the Rongai trek, I started looking at the people behind us. Henry described this moment in his book as “look behind you and you'll see a line of torches snaking up the slope behind you in a scene that feels almost Biblical”. I am not sure about the “Biblical” part but it was special.

We walked very slowly, in a zigzag manner, on shale and gravel slope. I had no idea where we were. Most of our breaks were very short, enough to catch our breath, took some energy sweets and sips of water, Jonas to check each of us are alright and for Geoff and PJ to encourage me. We would move on without being allowed to sit down. 

We finally had a 15 minute break at Hans Meyer Cave. I think I was slightly (ok, maybe it was “very”) emotional when we reached the cave because I honestly could not believe we reached a landmark. Everyone gave me a hug, I shed some tears and our dear summit porters miraculously produced cups and very sweet hot tea for everyone. Angels!

It was not easy getting to Gillman's Point either as there were some big rock and more loose gravel. Hesbon listened to my breathing – if I were out of breath, we would stop for a 1-minute breather. We managed somehow with me and it was nothing short of a miracle for me to have reach Gillman's Point. More hugs and I could not stop smiling. This time, the summit porters produced cans of Redbull. We took photographs and rested for 10 minutes. 

Redbull gives you wings”? Trust me – it is true. After Gillman's Point, everything was a breeze. I was no longer sleepy. I could breathe. I was still worried - that I had been too slow and held up everyone from watching the sunrise from the peak. We easily made it to Stella's Point and paused for a while to take more pictures.

On the crater rim, we zoomed pass a group who had ascended from another route. (Not sure why they were walking sooooooo slowly. Ha!)


We reached Uhuru Peak at 6.05am. High fives, hugs and lots of photographs. 
It was still dark when we reached the peak 
We waited for sunrise and took more photographs (even though it was difficult to do so with the fat gloved fingers).

Sunrise at Uhuru Peak - Priceless


Glacier



Update in October 2012: 
6 months into my travel, I found that the Kilimanjaro summit was not the hardest climb I had to do. I guess I was overwhelmed by the cold, the darkness and my inexperience. All things being relative, it was really not too difficult. I wish I had enjoyed the summiting a bit more.




No comments:

Post a Comment