Thursday 29 November 2012

Amazing Amazon : Tips and considerations

Exploring

Where to go 

When I was doing research on which part of the Peruvian Amazon to visit, I came across 2 websites which I found useful: 
The websites had some descriptions of the activities available and some names which I could do my research on. 

From there, I wrote to 3 operators, 1 in each of Manu, Puerto Maldonado and Iquitos. Initially I was more inclined towards Manu and Puerto Maldonado because they are near to Cuzco, where I was. In the end, I chose Iquitos because of the timing, cost and positive reviews. 

I am glad I made that choice and would highly recommend my guides Christian and Jhonatan to anyone. 


How to get there 

When making reservations, do ask your lodge/ operator if they have corporate discounts with airlines. Mine does (although I did not use the discount because I was only made aware of it after I have booked my airticket)

Due to the relative inaccessibility of the jungle lodges, companies normally include free airport pickups and drop-offs and all transports (cars and boats) to the lodges. Do ensure these are included in the price.


What to do 

Hammock room
At the lodges where I visited, all of the activities were free (except if we chose to go to a village to shop or drink). There were a lot of activities to choose from (canoeing, hiking, boating, visit native villages, have a session with a native shaman, canopy exploration on ziplines, swimming, fishing) and of various time length (anything from 1 hour walk to 2 days camping). One can go all out and pack everyday with a lot of activities or simply chill out in a hammock at the lodge. 

The schedule board shows where everyone is going
so that everyone is accounted for at the end of the day
If you have special interests in certain wildlife, let your guide know so that they zoom in on those areas. 

Boating are good alternatives if your legs are tired but it does limit what you see (as in, you will only see the wildlife that like/ are by the waterbank). When boating at night, bring your torch. Flash your torchlight around and look out for red spots – they are the eyes of the wildlife (think birds, caiman, frogs etc).
Spotting the gladiator treefrogs in the darkness

What to bring

The usual. A poncho because it can rain any time. Plus your super duper camera lens, super duper binoculars, super duper sun screen and super duper insect repellant. 


Clothes 

My face and neck were sensitive to insect repellant (slight burning sensation when applied from hand). I used a towel to wrap around my neck to absorb my perspiration and protect against the sun and mosquitoes. I thought it would have been great to have one of those sun hats or caps with flaps at the back that covers the neck. 

Avoid wearing dark clothes because dark colours absorb heat and mosquitoes sense heat. If you have one of those mosquito repellant clothes, wear them. If not, spray deet on clothes.

When I was trekking in the jungle one day in a dusty pink top, I was wondering why safari companies ask their customers to wear safari garb when it is not necessary while nobody told me to wear camouflages in the jungle. I think safari garb or greenish/ brownish-toned clothes are good in the jungle because they offer camouflage against the wildlife. No?


Mosquitos

The mosquitoes in the jungle were aggressive. It may not be viable to use 100% deet everyday. Miki taught me to spray 45% deet on the body and 100% deet on the clothes. Apply and reapply regularly. Anti-itch solution and calamine are useful to prevent scratching after been bitten.



No comments:

Post a Comment