Sunday 25 November 2012

Choquequirao to Machu Picchu : Best and Worst

Best parts of the trip
1. Choquequirao's llama walls - mystical.
2. Waking up to great views of the mountains every morning.


Worst parts of the trip
1. Wet tent from rain. I think people generally sleep light at higher altitude. After the wet tent incident, I wake up every hour every night to check if there is rain and if my tent is leaking. ¡No es bueno!
2. Bites. I think I have about 150 mosquito/ fly bites on me - 50 on each arm and 50 on both feet. 
VERY GROSS right?
Most refreshing
Having 2 showers in glacier water. We wanted a shower so much that the icy cold water did not matter. Having said that, I could only manage to stand in the shower for maybe 3 minutes at any one go, before I jumped out to breathe, then hold my breath and jump in again.


Most repetitive
Song on a broken heart that was played on Astario's radio station day and night. It goes "mi corazón..." and it was played sooooo often that Buddy knew how to sing the song. 


Noisiest
Roosters. I was so ready to slaughter them. They would crow from 3am, non-stop, in their hoarse voice. There was no sun and no competitors. I really do not understand why they walked around my tent and crow and crow and crow.


Longest switchback
On Day 4, on our way to Maizal camp. This is what the longest stretch looked like from our Pinchaunuyoc camp:
Switchback marked in yellow
For me, the worst part of this switchback was not the length but the sun.


 

2 comments: