Monday 11 February 2013

Los Angeles

Getting there

From Ushuaia, I transited in El Calafate to reach Buenos Aires (5 hours) and then flew onwards to Los Angeles via Houston (9 hours). The flight from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires was delayed twice and I arrived at Buenos Aires 3 hours later than intended. Thankfully I still had enough time for a shower and some snacks before I boarded my next legs of flight. 
Sexy wing

The flight on the 787 Dreamliner from Houston to LA was great. I love the plane's sexy, curvy design, the windows (the guy next to me was also impressed when I showed him the dimmed window) and the huge toilet (which had a baby change table). Oh, they also got rid of the 'No smoking' sign!
No more 'No smoking' sign



With shades vs without shades
My luggage did not make it onto the Dreamliner unfortunately. I was told by the ground staff that it was on the next flight to LA, would arrive 45 minutes later and be delivered to my hotel. It arrived 12 hours later at my hotel. I was quite annoyed that I could not go out in fresh clothes and paint the town red. Boooo....


Los Angeles

Beverly Hills, LA Downtown, San Deigo Freeway, Santa Monica Hills


Los Angeles is one of those cities which I wish I had rented a car. The places of interests are very dispersed and the public transport systems are not really developed - which meant expensive taxi rides or walking for at least 1.5 hours. Outside Hollywood Boulevard, there were hardly anyone walking on the streets so I quite enjoyed the long walks when it was not too hot.



Beside visiting the usual touristy areas, I also caught up with Anne Marie at her bar. The driven young lady would be opening a barber/saloon the week after I left LA - do check it out if for me if you are in town --> https://www.facebook.com/SpeakeasyBarberSalon
Anne Marie
My favourite place in LA is the Getty Centre, which was set up by the J. Paul Getty Trust using funds bequeathed by Jean Paul Getty. A billionaire and avid art collector, Getty (1892 - 1976) "viewed art as a civilising influence in society and strongly believed in making art available to the public for its education and enjoyment". He opened the J. Paul Getty Museum in his ranch house in Malibu to the public in 1954. The Getty Centre was built after his death to accommodate the expanding art collections, where they remained free for viewing. (Source: www.getty.edu)
Getty Centre
Source: www.getty.edu
From the bottom of the hills, one has to go by picnic tables and a sculpture garden before getting to the tram station. The tram ride, which offers views of Beverly Hills as a tram brings guests to the top of Santa Monica hills, is the only way to access the Getty Centre.
Picnic area 
Bronze Form (1985) by Henry Moore
From the tram stop on top of the hill, one could visit the art exhibitions or check out its renowned architecture or the gardens.

The J. Paul Getty Museum exhibits pre-20th-century European art works (the most famous of which is probably Vincent van Gogh's Irises which he painted while recuperating from a severe attack of mental illness) and 19th- and 20th-century American and European photographs. Contemporary and modern sculptures litter the grounds.
Irises (1889) by Vincent van Gogh
American architect Richard Meier's works, however, were what attracted me to visit the Getty. It had taken more than 12 years (1984 - 1997) to build the Getty Centre. Meier would sit on one of the hills to conceptualise/visualise his work on the sprawling 110 acres (4,791,000 square feet) site. From the end product, I think Meier was awarded the project because he understood that this was going to be more than a museum, that just as importantly, it would be a privately-owned public space. 
I also need a job that allows me to sit on a hill to ponder

Meier faced several challenges - there were 2 ridges on the site, zoning restrictions such as the limitation of above ground height to 2-storey and that his favourite white cannot be used on the exterior of the buildings. Consequently, the buildings were designed along the ridges and mostly underground. Beige Italian travertine, metal claddings and large panels of glass were chosen as the basic materials of the buildings. Travertine was chosen because it "expresses the qualities that the Getty celebrates: permanence, solidity, simplicity, warmth, and craftsmanship". The claddings were used to impart "a feeling of permanence" and also to link the ridges to the buildings. Glass allows in natural light and and I think, create an airy and less stifling ambience.  (Sources: www.getty.edu and www.richardmeier.com) 
Fossilised leaf in travertine
Meier's choice of materials reminded me remotely of his other museum building - Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art. The beige travertine, however, gives the Getty Centre a warmer, welcoming atmosphere, making the space feel more readily accessible to the public. When you are there, look out for the fossilised leaves, branches and feathers that can be found on the surface of the travertine - I thought they give the stones more character.
From the different corners of the grounds, one could spy on the Beverly Hills mansions, catch glimpses of the San Gabriel Mountains behind the LA city, view the sunset on the Pacific Ocean or simply look into the Getty's Central Garden.
LA city and San Gabriel Mountains
Pacific Ocean
The 134,000 square feet Central Garden, another draw of the Getty, was planned by Robert Irwin, an American installation artist, in 1992. Using more than 500 plant materials, with new plants added to the mix since opening, Irwin wanted to provide an "always changing, never twice the same" feel. 

I like it how everything (from the access to the entry, audio guide, special exhibits etc) is free at the museum. Not only does it have free daily educational tours on its collections, it also has free daily architecture and garden tours. The museum also comes across as very thoughtful, with clipboards provided for visiting students and umbrellas for the sun/rain.
The elements are integral and the site is just like a gigantic flower pot, with beautiful plants and buildings sprouting. I lost track of time and relished the serenity and beauty.







2 comments:

  1. I also need a job that allows me to sit on the hill to ponder!
    I love the last picture of tables and chairs. It looks almost Escher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. Not Escher. I think the shadows look poetic (blush). One of my favourite pictures.

      Delete