Sunday 20 May 2012

Living in Barcelona


I cannot remember why I have always wanted to visit Spain. Whatever the reason(s) was/were, I think I have made a great choice to begin my round the world (rtw) trip with Barcelona as the first destination. I have 2 things in my favour – the 1992 Barcelona Olympics Games and Raphaella.

Barcelona has a good transport network and is surprisingly easy to get around with in English. I think we have the Olympics Games to thank for these. Nearly 40% of the investments related to the 1992 Barcelona Olympics Games was spent to improve and expand roads and transport networks. The introduction of the city to the world through the Olympics Games also meant more opportunities/ incentives for the locals to learn and use English. 

As for Raphaella, I found her through Airbnb. Although her apartment looks centrally located from the map, I had chosen to stay at Raphaella's mainly because she is an Australian who has travelled widely – both of which, I thought I can relate to. I am glad I made the correct decision to stay at hers as she (and her apartment) turns out to be the gem I need. (Check out her apartment and my review at http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/414727).

I was Barcelona from 9 - 19 May, which was quite short a timeframe, given that this was my first trip to Barcelona and that a typical day was divided into 3s for me. I learnt Spanish at a Spanish language school in the mornings. In the afternoons, I was a tourist. Most evenings and nights, I led a 'normal' life – bought grocery, prepared dinner, revised Spanish, went for yoga class or a drink with Raphaella...

This slideshow documents the non-touristy parts of my time in Barcelona (double click to view):

Living in Barcelona

Before arriving in Barcelona, I had worried about pickpockets and that I do not understand Spanish. In Barcelona, there are announcements in some metro stations such as the Sagrada Familia station which warned about pickpockets and there are Spanish who do not speak/ understand English. As with any other place on earth, one just needs to be careful with his belongings to deter the pickpockets. I was fortunate not to have any issues in Barcelona.

In situations where the Spanish counterpart does not speak/ understand English, so long the question is not too technical (such as 'Could you tell me the differences between the various SIM cards?' ) and that both parties are willing,

  1. try communicate in whatever limited knowledge one has in the other person's language (it breaks down barriers and does reduce some uncertainties)
  2. use the simplest phrases in your own language slowly as some words do sound the same in European languages (eg. telephone vs teléfono)
  3. play a game of charade, 
and most simple things can be resolved. 

I went into a shop in my neighbourhood to get a bottle of nail strengthener. I should have checked what it is called in Spanish but was silly enough not to. The saleslady could not understand what I wanted so I pointed to my nails and did the action of applying nail polish. She nodded and showed me the different nail polish colours that she has. I said 'No colour', pointed to my nail and then did the front double bicep pose to show that I am strong. That was the light bulb moment for her and a €4 'nail endurecedora' for me.


The front double bicep pose that got me my nail strengthener





Things I love about Barcelona:
  1. Hills and the Balearic Sea right at one's doorstep. Pity I can only post the pictures but not the sweet fragrance of the flowers and the pines and the non-stop chattering of the birds in the hills. 
  2. Fascinating architecture (Lluis Domènech i Montaner, Antoni Gaudí i Cornet, Frank Gehry, Richard Meier) and artworks (Pablo Picasso, Joan Miró i Ferrà)
  3. Tapas bar - cheap cheap good good. ¿5 pintxos + 1 zurito por €6? Me me me! I am in!
  4. Clean streets. Credits must be given to the cleaners whose dustpans look like Neverfull.
Things I need to get used to (the first 2 points will apply to the whole of Spain I think):
  1. Lunch at 2pm and dinner at 10pm (is this not the surest way to get a tummy???). I arrived at a cafe at 1.50pm and it was barely occupied. At 2.10pm, the cafe was packed. Unlike restaurants that close for a break at 3pm back home, it is not unusual to have lunch at 3 or 4pm in Barcelona. Consequently, dinner normally starts after 8pm.
  2. Supermarkets being closed on Sunday. 
  3. Quirkiness of trains stations – which ones to insert ticket into gate on the left and which ones on the right (I think mostly on the right); which ones require tickets to be inserted at the exit point and which ones do not (I think mostly not required).
I thought I could move to Barcelona to live and work here but let's see how Madrid fares.

9 comments:

  1. love the detail in your blog! bookmarked. will be following your adventures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta! Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your company!

      Delete
  2. Im headed for Barcelona next Friday! qhw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Relax (and be sensible) - you will have a great time.

      Delete
  3. I really like the way u are organizing yr trip! Great idea in splitting yr days like that, go straight into the heart of 'living' in the city ;) keep yr wits with you, and yr heart open to embrace life babe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice Gal!
      Today I missed a train cos the 1 staff working was chatting to someone and I kept my cool. Ha!

      Delete
  4. looks like you are having a wonderful time there. looking forward to your upcoming posts! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes so far so good and counting my blessings!

      Delete
  5. Hey!!
    we're gonna head to Barcelona on 1 Jun and will be spending 4 weeks there (for now)
    Can you forward us the spanish language schools and yoga places you frequented?

    :) phyllis

    ReplyDelete