Wednesday 6 June 2012

My first day in Escalona

Escalona

Province: Huesca (of Aragon, Spain)
Population: 220
Altitude: 610m
(Source: Ayuntamiento de Huesca)

Quick recap 

I was in Escalona because the helpful lady at Huesca's Tourism Office suggested that the adventure companies based in Escalona would be a better bet to fetch me to hiking. I had met Jon, the only English speaking taxi driver in Aínsa and he has sent me to Escalona.

Juanjo and Raquel

The lady at Huesca's Tourism Office had given me a list of 4 names and I picked the first one that does trekking - Solomonte (http://www.solomonte.com(thank goodness they are the first name!). [Note also, I heard that a better website will be coming up in the later part of June 2012]

Jon had stopped in front of the Solomonte office and I was chatting to him (he gave me his contact number in case I need a ride around town or whatever and I was paying him) when the door to Solomonte closed! Jon stopped the Solomonte staff (Juanjo) and told him I need assistance. Juanjo said to give him 1 minute and went upstairs. Down came a girl (Raquel).

I bade farewell to Jon and Raquel led me to the Solomote office. She told me in ENGLISH that she was the one who spoke to the lady from Huesca. Imagine my relief! (I can say 'Voy a la Sestrales' but I am not sure if I can carry the rest of the conversation in Spanish and not get confused.) I showed her the route on my iPhone and she pointed it out immediately on her real scaled map. Yes! Another point for Racquel.

Raquel said she could bring me to the Sestrales. We agreed on the route, the price, the timing for the next day (to start at 8am) and what to bring. We also agreed that it is better for me to stay in Escalona (another relief, since I am not keen to take a 4th transport for the day).

Raquel suggested that after I have had some rests, I could rent a bicycle from her and cycle around to Aínsa (great views) or I could walk up the hill across the road (easy and great views too)

Raquel, outside the Solomonte office
Juanjo

Javier, Pili, Monica and Hotel Arnal

There were several lodging options in Escalona. I chose Hotel Arnal (http://www.hotelarnal.com) because it looks simple and homely from outside and it is just next door to Solomonte's office (again, I attribute this to sheer luck because for the next 1 week, I had a home). Raquel thought I would need assistance and brought me to the hotel. She told a bearded gentlemen (whom I will know as Javier) that I would need a room for 3 nights (Yes, I initially only planned for 3 days so that I can have the third day for R&R) and food for picnic (the only supermarket in Escalona is closed every Wednesday and I had arrived on a Wednesday). Meanwhile, Javier's daughter, Monica, came into the picture and took over the English-Spanish translation. Raquel left and I checked into Hotel Arnal.
Pili and Javier, at the hotel lobby
Monica


I loved my room. The room was very big and clean. I had a queen-sized bed, plenty of drawers, a table, a big wardrobe and a television. There was a big bathtub (loved it in the subsequent days) and a hairdryer! Pity I do not have any decent pictures. (I think the pictures on its website does not do it justice either. It is much newer, prettier and homely than the pictures on the website.)
Right. I have messed up the bed already

The windows opened up to a vegetable garden, hills, mountains and highway A-138.

My room is on the first floor on this side of the building
I had a yummy lunch prepared by Pili, Javier's wife, at 3pm:
Real food
View during lunch
It was too hot to go out. As Javier told me it will take 1 hour to walk up the hill in front of the hotel, I waited till 5pm.
Hill in front of hotel. Target: Houses on top of hill
The starting point of the walk (Muro de Bellós) was a mere 2 minutes from the door of the hotel and took me an hour to ascend. (Very slow walk, lots of photo-taking. aragonesasi.com says the altitude is 955m). The walk, like what Raquel had told me, was very very easy. 

I had no idea where Escalona was and I was only aware of a lot of potted pretty flowers in the hotel. The views from the hotel room and restaurant were great but I honestly did not expect that this was surrounding me:
View from top of Muro de Bellós or What is REALLY behind my hotel 

What awaits me tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment