Monday 17 September 2012

Dolomiti : Ferrata Punta Anna

This was supposed to be the most difficult via ferrata we did all week - technical difficulty 2.5, exposure 3.2, physical demand 4, scenery 4.4. We had a minor debate on top of Punta Anna if it was indeed the most difficult thus far - Richard and Alberto thought so (because of the exposure) but I thought Tridentina was the most difficult. Trust the experts. I only realised as I was writing this, that we ascended from 2,037m to 2,731m in less than 3 hours - double or triple the displacements we had done thus far.

I think what made this via ferrata physically more demanding was that there were more vertical walls to scale (as opposed to doing switchbacks on the wall).
Photo credit: Alberto


Finally! 1 photograph which does not show me grabbing on to the cable
Photo credit: Richard
Photo credit: Richard
The vertical walls looked more difficult than the act of doing it. We knew the drill by then - secure oneself to the cable or ladder and trap the carabiner, then find a comfortable place to put the free hand and feet. Move. Repeat the same. When it got tricky, Alberto would highlight what to do. I spent slightly more time on this via ferrata analysing where best to put my hand and feet, only because I wanted to be more selective and efficient, and not just take the most obvious positions that require full stretches of arms and legs. (Sometimes, I would cheat by using sheer energy to power up and then go on to reprimand myself in my head. Note to self. Note to self.) 
Arch
In any case, I did not think we were really worried about ourselves. We were more worried for someone who was rock climbing on Tofana de Rozes but did not move for an hour. When he finally moved, I was so happy we did not have to call for rescue. Then Alberto took a picture of some fellow climbers and I asked for €3,000 in exchange for the all-important-full-of-danger-looking photograph. They must not be accountants because they only charged us €1,000 for taking a photograph for us. Where is my $$$?
The 2 guys who owe us $$$
From left: Richard, Alberto
On top of Punta Anna
View from Punta Anna 
On the descent, we saw 2 men who were not on the marked route and Alberto shouted to alert them. They were adamant that their map had said so/ they have gone down the route before. *Shake head* 

The correct way to descend from Punta Anna would be to do a switchback or run vertically down a "soft" scree. Richard and Alberto ran as I "gracefully" "jogged" down. I honestly thought that at the very cautious rate I was going, it would take 5 hours. 
Getting down the scree
Photo credit: Alberto
Exit
Left: Tofana de Rozes, Right: Punta Anna
As it was Richard's last via ferrata with us, Alberto thought we could be tourists for the rest of the day. After our descent, we saved our stomach and drove to Bob Bar for a great sandwich. Afterwhich, we went into the Cortina town centre to do some sight-seeing and to have an all-important gelato:                                          
Thank you Richard for treating us to gelato!

Richard, Alberto and I agreed that we had been fortunate all week with the weather. Richard had thoroughly enjoyed the vie ferrate. For me, I thought that everything was scary but otherwise, awesome - a contradiction, I know. In all seriousness, the joke we had among us, that "if you want a pee-in-your-pants experience, wear your diapers and sign up for the via ferrata with Alberto", was really more of a reflection from me - that I am glad I was given the opportunity and that I did give the via ferrata a go even though I was/am/will be scared. I had a lot of things in my favour - Alberto, Richard, the weather, scenery and food - and they more than made up for the fear I had to put up with. Have fear but just do it. It was definitely worth it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment