Friday 14 September 2012

Dolomiti : Ferrata Piccolo Cir

As usual, I was apprehensive. I asked Igor if the Piccolo Cir is scary and he said it is easy. I then decided I should not have bothered to ask him because he mostly cycles and also, since he has grown up in the area, nothing is 'scary' to him.


Alberto picked Richard and I up at our respective hotels and we drove to Piccolo Cir. The sun was shining and the weather was beautiful. We drove along the winding roads, surrounded by the vertical faces of dolomite mountains, pine trees and colourful cable cars. 

Alberto introduced the area to us and it made perfect sense to Richard because he had been to the area to ski. I was completely lost - how can Alberto remember so many names when one looks like the other to me? (It was easier after driving around the area for few days and when I got hold of a map.) Along the way, I also saw something scary that got me really worried about Piccolo Cir (more about that in the next entry) but really, I should not have worried.

Pizes da Cier, with Piccolo Cir on the most left hand side
My first edelweiss
In all honesty, it is more of an ordeal looking at other people climb (than the act of climbing it myself) and I would cringe or try not to look. On the scale of 1 to 5, it would probably rank 1 (for being the easiest) in Alberto and Richard's eyes. It would have been a 4 for me during the climb because I seriously doubted if the ledges were wide or strong enough. 


My fears were unfounded. Alberto has chosen well and Piccolo Cir is a great starting for beginners to via ferrate. It is a short route, not physically demanding and not really exposed. After a short walk from the car, we reached our starting point and Alberto introduced us to the safety measures and how to use the carabiners.


Alberto's pace was slow (partly because there was a group with a child before us) and both he and Richard was supportive. The most difficult parts for me would have been stopping to pose for pictures/ let the guys take pictures. I would be praying in my head for Alberto/ Richard to get going while they seemed to feel completely safe and comfortable (I am not sure if I was worried more for them or for myself).
Can you imagine posing for a picture while on the vertical rock surface?
Photo credit: Alberto
Photo credit: Alberto
Photo credit: Alberto



Except for waiting for the group in front of us to proceed, it did not take us too long to reach the peak. It left Richard wanting for more, thinking that there would be a second part after lunch.

Getting down from the peak was trickier because I had to tell myself it was perfectly safe to stretch my short legs across nothingness to something on the next rock that I cannot see. (Note to self: I really need to overcome my issues with getting down.)















After a short walk, we got to Rifugio Jimmy (I love how huts are sooooo accessible in the Dolomites!). We could smell food way before we reached the hut and lunch was great. 


Alberto's assurance, the rapport with Richard and the view of the next destination from Piccolo Cir prompted me to agree to continue with the programme on the next day.
Gruppo del Sella, seen from Piccolo Cir






No comments:

Post a Comment