Tuesday 18 September 2012

Dolomiti : Rock climbing at Cinque Torri

I do not know what possessed me when I said "the next time I come to the Dolomites, I will give rock climbing a try". (We might have been discussing about via ferrata and Alberto told Richard and I that he has converted his clients to rock climbing. I really cannot remember.) Little did I know that Alberto had the same idea, only he thought of it before I did and he was thinking of doing it NOW. @@ I did not even suspect it when he asked me on Day 5 for the size of my shoes (I thought he was going to find me some hardy boots for long distance trekking). 天啊!我还没有做好心理准备!


We checked the weather forecast at the end of Day 5 and confirmed that the weather was not going to hold for a long trek over the weekend. Consequently, we agreed on rock climbing for Day 6 and play by ear for Day 7. 

To cut the long story short, I found myself borrowing rock climbing shoes, driving to Bain de Dònes and taking a chairlift to Cinque Torri:


The Cinque Torri, as the name implies, has 5 towers. We first practised on a few walls of Torre Inglese. Alberto first went through the basic climbing techniques with me. Then he free-climbed up the wall, put the rope through the anchor point, abseiled down and held the rope at the bottom of the wall while I climbed up.

Each time we started on a new wall, I would first observe how Alberto free-climbed to the anchor point (with no secured rope, he must have chosen the safest and easiest route right?) and attempt to the same. When I say "attempt", it is really because initially, the macro picture would be lost once I get on the rock. Subsequently, I learnt to lean out further to see where to go. 
Free-climb up
Put rope through anchor point

Ideally, when rock climbing, one moves a few small steps before moving the hands and continuing with another few small steps. I tended to go at a "one hand, one foot, one hand, one foot" sequence, like climbing a ladder. It took a while for me to get used to not climbing the rock like a ladder. 

Along the way, Alberto would give me some pointers if I looked really lost. Otherwise, he would just leave me to decide where to go on the rock wall and how. I like this teaching approach because I could make and learn from my mistakes. I would be totally confused and panicked if someone were to shout instructions at me constantly (it would interrupt the conversations I would have inside my head).
My turn
Abseil down






Alberto, before his disappearing act
on Torre Quarta Bassa

I thought that the day had ended when Alberto started to make a move to the next tower - Torre Quarta Bassa. We were going to do a real belaying! This was how it went - Alberto free-climbed to the anchor point and put the rope through it. He would give me a shout and I climbed up to meet him. This process continued until we reached the peak.


Once Alberto disappeared around the corner above, I would have no idea how he climbed. I therefore had to work out the route on my own. 



I thought I would be a piece of wreck when I climbed but it was surprisingly therapeutic and it had a calming effect on me. Alberto had chosen a really easy tower, I did not have to worry about anyone but myself and more importantly, I did not have to look down (except at my feet).


Resting at the 2nd belay point and looking down from the same spot
Photo credit for picture on the left: Alberto
































There were 3 terrifying parts on Torre Quarta Bassa:
1. There were 2 people standing on a ledge (like the one above) and I had to stretch across their bodies and climbed over them
2. The peak was shaped like "⊿", which meant that there was a slope when I got to the top (not a table top as I would like it to be)
3. Alberto lowered me down too quickly for my liking!
On top of Torre Quarta Bassa with Alberto
View from peak of Torre Quarta Bassa
Foreground: My first practice walls
Background: Punta Anna
Child (on the wall) and instructor (on the ground) 
training on my first practice wall
(as seen from the peak of Torre Quarta Bassa)
After he threw me off the peak, Alberto boogied his way down


WWI trench


The day did not end here. I became a tourist again and visited the World War I trenches a few steps from Cinque Torri.

Then I had one of the best meals in a hut. (Tip: When asked 'which hut do you want to go to?', always answer with 'the one with the best food'.)
Casunziei all' ampezzana
Salame di cioccolato con salsa alla vaniglia
Hugo


























No comments:

Post a Comment